Friday, April 29, 2011

Reader's Ramble- The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June.

For my third Reader's Ramble, I will be reviewing the novel The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June by Robin Benway.

"Three sisters, three extraordinary, life-changing powers!



Three sisters share a magical, unshakable bond in this witty high-concept novel from the critically acclaimed author of Audrey, Wait! Around the time of their parents’ divorce, sisters April, May, and June recover special powers from childhood—powers that come in handy navigating the hell that is high school. Powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could they have a greater purpose? April, the oldest and a bit of a worrier, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And baby June reads minds—everyone’s but her own. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls come together to save the day and reconcile their strained family. They realize that no matter what happens, powers or no powers, they’ll always have each other. Because there’s one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood."




Plot- This book has what fellow blogger Qui would like to call "WPS" or Weak Plot Syndrome. Nothing really happens for a while. They get super powers in the beginning and are all confused, then it's not until the end where the action actually starts. I mean it's a good plot, it just takes a while to get to the main, intense mystery scene.


Setting- The setting fits in with the book. It helps the reader relate to everything that happens. It's in a normal town, even though these girls are far from normal.


Theme- I loved the theme of this story. Even though I don't have sisters, it still warmed my heart. I would say the main theme is sisterhood and family. The author shows that family is really important and you should always try and keep them in your life. Sure you may fight but in the end they'll always love you.


Characters- For the most part I liked them. They seemed like they could actually be real people. They had real, relateable situations. Each sister has a different personality which I thought was interesting. I found characteristics of myself in all three of them, so it's hard to pick a favorite. There were qualities of each sister that I liked and disliked, so I really can't choose. April is probably in the lead though, then June, then May.


Overall- This wasn't my favorite book ever, but it wasn't my least favorite either. It took a while for things to get exciting in the book. They got their powers right away, then nothing really happened in the middle of the story, then towards the end things started to heat up again.


One thing I didn't understand is how the sisters got their powers. Like did they just randomly develop them? Did they fall in a pit of magic acid or something? All it tells the reader is that their grandmother was a mind reader, like June, so it's in the family. But how did those family members get those powers? It never explained that.


Sometimes my eyes got lost while reading. With the three sisters talking all together was a bit confusing sometimes. I wasn't sure who was saying what sometimes.


One thing I really liked is that it was told in different points of view. That helped me get each sister's different side of the story and learn more about them.


I like the cover of this story. I think it's cute, BUT, I don't like when authors put pictures of characters on covers. Because the reader is supposed to imagine the character them self. Like I'd be imagining June my own way, then I'd look at the cover and be like "Oh. She's not supposed to look like that." Some people may like pictures though, but that's my opinion. The title isn't really that creative either.


The rating system-
1 star= Hated book, not worth the read, I don't recommend it to anyone.
2 stars= Didn't really like it, not worth time, but some might enjoy it.
3 stars= Just okay, nothing too exciting. Just decent.
4 stars= Liked it, worth the time and money, would recommend it.
5 stars= Loved it! Favorite read! Simply amazing! A must- read!


SO, despite it's flaws, I rate this book-

4 out of 5 stars! So I liked it, it's worth the time and money, would recommend it.




















0 comments: