Saturday, May 12, 2012

A discouraged writer in need of some advice

My fellow writers, I need your help, desperately.
I haven't written at all.
Since November 2011 for NaNoWriMo (Which I completed successfully.)
I did some editing in January 2012 because I was really upset and just wanted to write something to take my mind off the pain. It's kinda like being emo, except not.
And now, I actually just want to write. Like I am craving to sit down on my computer and just write something amazing.
But that's the thing, I can't write something amazing.
I'm not an amazing writer.
Why is that? Because I'm out of practice and have no inspiration.
I haven't had time to practice, to be honest. This year has been one of the busiest and most difficult ones of my life. There's just been no time.
But, summer is coming up. And it doesn't really look like any of the businesses I applied for jobs at are going to call me back..
So if I don't get a job, I am going to be bored as heck. So I'll have tons of time.
Here's where the lack of inspiration comes in.
Even if I have all the time in the world, how can I sit down and write something amazing if I have no inspiration?!
I have no ideas. At all. My mind is a blank piece of paper.
I could continue my NaNoWriMo novel... which started out as a Plot Bunny (A story that you just suddenly get the idea for and NEED to start immediately). Well I ran out of ideas for that. It has great potential.. it just..
I'm stuck. This happens to me pretty much every time I try to write a novel.
I get stuck half way through. This is the third novel in a row this happened to with me.
I am so jealous of all of you who have all actually finished writing a novel. I've been so close, but also so far.

PLEASE! Anyone! Has this ever happened to you? You try to write something and when you are about half way through, you just don't know what to make happen anymore? You're just stuck with a blank head?
Is there a cure for this? A way to get past it? I need help!
If I actually want to be a published author some day I need to figure out a way!
How can I ever be as amazing as my heroes Markus Zusak, John Green, Sara Shepard, or Sarah Ockler if I can't even finish a novel?!
I want to write more than anything. It's my passion and I adore it. Writing is beautiful.


I have so much I want to say, so many emotions I want to convey, situations I want to describe, and characters I want to develop. 
But, how can I do it if I can't get past this writer's block?
But this isn't ordinary writers block, because it has happened to me three books in a row and it's the same thing every time. 
My plots never have an ending because I am unable to create them. 

This quote from The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is me exactly. I have so many ideas but I can never form them into anything. 

Please, someone help me, I beg of you. Any knowledge or advice you could give me would be extremely appreciated. 
I'm really afraid I'm not going to be able to break out of this.
Especially since Inkpop is gone now. Inkpop was my summer getaway for the past two summers.. and now.. *holds back tears.
I actually had writing friends on there. I had a small reputation, and it was important to me. I worked for two years and now it's all gone.
I have like no writing friends now.
Wanna be my writing friend? I need some.
Inkpop inspired me to write a lot. I don't really want to convert to Figment.. I don't like it. It's not our Inkpop. Our home.
#TeamInkpop #Inkie.
I liked being able to go online and read other people's work and leave critiques, and have critiques left for me. Those critiques helped me so much.
And I'm pretty sure they are all gone now.
Have any of you Inkies converted to Figment? Should I give it a try?
Please, I am begging. I need some help.



post signature

9 comments:

Megan said...

Whenever I can't write, I just scan through pictures on my WeHeartIt account to get some inspiration. Usually pictures help spark an idea.

Ami said...

Hey! :) I can see you're stuck, and I completely know the feeling. Is it not absolutely mind scorching when you can't find the right words, the right line? What you are lacking in, my friend, is a something my writing buddy Wind and I like to call "stardust". You are running low on stardust, correct? So, first of all, I offer you "Keep Holding On" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gcrx2Ab0FM). Second, I suggest doing some things that you know have inspired you in the past - whether it be a fantastic song or two, a fun activity, a memorable sight, a crazy idea - and repeat those actions. Third, place yourself in the part of your characters. Ask yourself, "What is next?" If that doesn't work, use the good old method we usually associate with the SATs - process of elimination. Who is going to die? Who is going to change? Will anyone die? Will there be something completely ridiculous that nobody else could have seen - a bit of deus ex machina? You could even write the story in the one way you cannot imagine it being told - write it horribly. "Then, out of the sky, came a legion of flying pigs. One pig - a green one - was being ridden by a red imp screaming, 'Give me back my cupcakes!' [insert main character's name here] screamed back, 'Never!' and pulled out a water gun." Something ridiculous like that might lead you to a good idea. Ask yourself more questions! Where will everyone be in 20 years? When they look back at this moment, what will they think? If you were them, what would you do? What would you hope to happen (then do the exact opposite)! These are just some ideas. If you want more, just tell me and we can chat via Google or some other instant messaging machine.
Lots of Stardust,
Ami

Unknown said...

The only cure I know of for writer's block is writing.

xo,
Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel, because I'm in the same place right now. I can get about halfway through a book, then just run out of ideas.
I've never finished a book, and it kills me. Everyone who has completed one, it feels like they have more potential to be a writer. It makes me feel like I am not worthy, because I can't finish a book.

Writers block is the worst thing in the world, and my suggestion would be that you go on Google and google something random like "pizza" or "baseball."
Find a picture and take it for inspiration. Who are the people in the picture? What are they doing there? What is their life story? Write down little details about them, and then pick up those details and work with them.

Another thing I do when I have writers block (and time), is go outside into your yard and write about something you see. Start writing about that tree, or your old playset. Give them life, and then if they can, morph them into teenagers, and give them crushes, evil teachers, and secret keeping best friends.

Good luck, I know how horrible writer's block is. I hope this helps! If you want to talk, my email is always open!
~Lydia

Converse said...

DO something the novel that would add suspense, or surprise the reader. Have someone die, have someone get into a freak accident and someone has to care for them who hates them or something. I don't know exactly what your story is about, but based on the descriptions of the characters I cant tell it has to do with your former friend.... I think. If you can email me a short summary of what you have written so far, I would be happy to help you continue your novel :)

Anonymous said...

Eek, sounds like a bit of a slump...and some of it definitely sounds familiar.

Okay, first, here's something I've learned - don't compare yourself to the pros. We're teenagers! We're just starting out! We're not going to be as epically amazing as John Green and Markus Zusak; not yet, at least. You need to give yourself time to learn and grow into your writing. And on that subject, this video is priceless, and I think you should watch it - like, now. CLICKY CLICKY CLICKY!

And second, I do have some advice for you on finishing novels. No matter how much you doubt yourself, keep on trucking. Paige, when you finally finish a novel, you are going to be psyched. And it's going to give you a huge buzz of self-confidence. It doesn't matter if it's good or not (because all first drafts suck!) It doesn't even matter if you never look at it again. JUST KEEP WRITING. And DON'T STOP until you reach "the end"!

With The Sandcastle's Way, my mom kept me on task. She kept me motivated and inspired as I wrote it, and she wouldn't let me quit; I kept on it until I finished. If you want, I'd be happy to be your motivator! And I could be tough with you, if you want me to. ;) So yes, I'll be your writing buddy! Shoot me an email or tweet me or something. :)

And best of luck to you, Paige! I know you can do it if you really, really try. It's going to be hard, trust me, but you can do it. In fact, when you get some time, just sit down and open up your novel! Sometimes, it seems like you have no inspiration and no motivation, but all it takes is sitting down to write to get the juices flowing again. You're just out of practice - you'll get the hang of it again!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Divine Writer said...

Paige,
Hello!! It has been a long time since we have talked, and you know you can always come to me if you are having writer's blog or if you have any questions. We do technically live in the same area! :)

Paige Woiner said...

Thank you guys for the wonderful advice!