Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Reader's Ramble- Going Bovine

For my sixth Reader's Ramble I will be reviewing Going Bovine by Libba Bray. Can Cameron find what he’s looking for?
All 16-year-old Cameron wants is to get through high school—and life in general—with a minimum of effort. It’s not a lot to ask. But that’s before he’s given some bad news: he’s sick and he’s going to die. Which totally sucks. Hope arrives in the winged form of Dulcie, a loopy punk angel/possible hallucination with a bad sugar habit. She tells Cam there is a cure—if he’s willing to go in search of it. With the help of a death-obsessed, video-gaming dwarf and a yard gnome, Cam sets off on the mother of all road trips through a twisted America into the heart of what matters most.





Plot- Loved LOVED this story line. The main character was determined and knew exactly what he wanted. It was exciting and there was a lot of suspense. It kept me interested through the whole story.


Setting- Well, considering this was a traveling novel the setting really isn't set in one place. But all the places that they go are really exciting and some of it just so strange!



Theme-I think the theme of this novel is not giving up and taking a chance. Even though the main character didn't think he could do it, he went and tried anyway. He wasn't even sure if any of it was real but he went anyway. He really wanted to be cured.



Characters- LOVE THEM! They are all so hilarious and had me laughing out loud while I was reading it. Balder (The yard gnome) is just the cutest and funniest little guy ever. Cameron's sarcasm and sour humor just was the best. And I liked how he never gave up and always kept going. And how he cared so much about his friends. DULCIE! I love her! I kept wanting her and Cameron to be a couple. She is funny too. Gonzo.. I like him but he's not my favorite.




Overall- I loved this book. It wasn't one of my favorites but it was really good.



The main thing is that this book is SO CONFUSING. I'm still sort of puzzled about it all but Evie J helped me become less confused! Thanks Evie! The cover was also very confusing and weird at first. Every time someone picked up this book from my desk, they were like "What the heck is this book?" Just because the cover and title is so weird and confusing. BUT now that I've read the story I understand the cover and title completely.


This is one of those novels that you can kind of interpret some things your own way and see them how you want to see them.


The only thing I really disliked was the ending. It didn't end how I expected and I was totally shocked and disappointed. But other than that it was great!


So with that said.. this book gets 5/5 stars! I highly recommend it and it's a must read!















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds cool. Libba Bray's a good author.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yay! I love Libba Bray, she's such a great writer. I really enjoyed "Going Bovine" myself, though I LOVED the Gemma Doyle Trilogy. :)

And I think Dulcie is my favorite character from the book. She's just plain AWESOME! :D

Loraine said...

I like your review :D Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/02/going-bovine-by-libba-bray.html

Thanks and have a nice day!