Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reader's Ramble- Room


For this reader's ramble I will be reviewing Room by Emma Donoghue.


"To five-year-old Jack, Room is the entire world. It is where he was born and grew up; it's where he lives with his Ma as they learn and read and eat and sleep and play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits.

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough...not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work."


Plot- At first, I didn't really get the whole story line, they were stuck in a room and they go out their daily routine. So many questions buzzed in my head, like how the heck did she get kidnapped? How old is she? Is "Old Nick" the father of Jack? Why don't they try to escape? Why hasn't someone found them yet?

But these questions were all answered in due time. This story line is just so scary, and thrilling. It had me hanging on the edge of my seat the whole time. It had my heart beating out of my chest. I don't want to give anything away and ruin it for others though. Just know, that you'll be afraid for the character's lives if you have a heart.

I love the way the story ended too. The last scene has so much significance.

Setting- Well, the setting for the majority of this novel is Room. It's their home. It's a soundproof shed that they are never aloud to go out of. It's pretty scary to think if that was you in that Room. How would you survive? They haven't seen the sun in seven years. (Well, Jack NEVER has, since he was born in Room). It's just so sad and scary. It's hard to believe but I actually like the story better inside Room than in other places that the novel take place. But it's great to see their transformation outside of Room.

Theme- I would say childhood innocence is a big theme here. Jack is only five and he doesn't understand many of the things in the world. Learning and coping is another theme too. I guess another theme could be never giving up hope (For Ma).

Characters- Mixed feelings on the Characters. Well, I'll just do the three main ones. Ma, Jack, and Old Nick (The kidnapper)

Jack. Goodness, I love him. He is just so cute and so funny. The way he doesn't understand things, the statements he makes, and the questions he asks are just hilarious sometimes. He also is very brave and mature for a five year old. Love him.

Ma. Yuck. Well sort of. I didn't mind her in Room. In Room, she was actually an okay character. She is a very loving mom and really cares about Jack. She gives everything she can to him. And she managed to stay sane even though she was trapped in a room for seven years, cut off from civilization. But outside of Room, oh my gosh I wanted to slap her. I know I'd be cranky if I was put in a room for seven years, but she is just a complete Bit** to people. Like she was just such a jerk. People treated her different which made her annoyed, but she didn't have to act like that.

Old Nick (The Kidnapper.) Can I have a gun please? Then take me to the jail he's locked up in. Just kidding, I'd never kill anyone, but this man deserves it. He is just a monster. Period.


Overall- Well, my mom bought me this book. And since it isn't a YA novel, I didn't think it would appeal to me that much. But surprisingly, it did. It's the scariest story I've ever read. Like I said above, my heart was beating out of my chest, I was so afraid for Jack and Ma. It's just an overall great story, even though it does happen in real life. This just reminded me not to talk to strangers, well creepy ones who say their dog is missing and to get in their car to help them.

Other than Ma's female dog attiude, it was great! So, it's getting 5/5 stars. It is one of my favorites and you need to read it!


I'm debating on what to read next, either Beauty Queens by Libba Bray or What Happened to Goodbye by Sara Dessen. What do you guys think?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Sounds like an interesting book, to say the least. Kind of creepy, and I'd probably have nightmares if I read it (eek!)... but still interesting.

I think it's too late (since on your sidebar it says you're currently reading "What Happened to Goodbye") but I'd say read "Beauty Queens" next. LOL. I haven't read Sarah Dessen's book, but I can recommend Libba Bray's! ;)